About Entering Canaan
“Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her.” Hosea 2:14
The Entering Canaan Ministry is a multifaceted program consisting of retreat days, weekend retreats, monthly gathering groups and special retreats. Like the journey of the Israelites to the Promised Land, Entering Canaan accompanies those who are wounded from the pain of abortion to the mercy, forgiveness and love of God, and addresses the spiritual, psychological and emotional aspects of abortion.
Mercy, is “the bridge that connects God and man, opening our hearts to a hope of being loved forever despite our sins.” Pope Francis
Taking its name from the Exodus experience of the Jewish people from slavery into the Promised Land, Entering Canaan accompanies those who have suffered abortion on a journey into the Promised Land.
Those who join in this journey of faith, find hope and confidence while addressing the impact of abortion spiritually, emotionally and psychologically. They also learn that regardless of how long their healing takes, or how many battles of healing they need to engage in, they have a community of people to whom they can turn in time of need, many of whom have gone before them facing the very same battles and who will be there for them unconditionally, to encourage them on the way to true healing .
“In his journey on earth, man is never alone. The Christian especially never feels abandoned, because Jesus assures us that He does not only wait for us at the end of our long journey, but that He accompanies us in every one of our days.” Pope Francis
Entering Canaan is a multi-faceted approach to healing consisting of:
- Beginning the Journey: Days of Prayer & Healing, planting the seed of hope for those hurting.
- Fighting the Battles: Monthly Gatherings (groups) addressing specific post abortion issues.
- Hope & Healing Weekends : delving more deeply into the wounds of shame, grief, anxiety, self hatred, anger and other post abortion manifestations
- Special Gatherings: Advent, Mother’s Day and other times that may be particularly painful for those who have lost a child through abortion
- Mercy Retreats: Yearly renewal retreats to aid in continued growth and healing emotionally and spiritually All retreats include witnesses of mercy, personal prayer, sharing and quiet time, as well as an opportunity for the Sacrament of Confession and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
Entering Canaan is a ministry of healing from abortion, developed by Theresa Bonopartis with the Sisters of Life. It has been expanded over the years by Theresa and the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal to include, men, siblings and couples who abort due to an adverse diagnosis.